The Pygmy goats are miniature domestic goats. The best miniature pet goat is Pygmy goat. Keeping Pygmy as a pet is as always fun and filled with a lot of outdoor activities. Children love to spend time with the pygmy goat, as they are small, friendly, docile, playful and intelligent.
A lot of people prefer Pygmy goats as pets. Pygmy goats need company, they can’t survive alone. Pygmy goats cost around $150 to $300 so before spending the money, you will want to know about Pygmy goats.
Table of Contents
- 1 Pygmy goat facts
- 2 How to care for pygmy goats?
- 3 Do pygmy goats make good pets?
- 4 Frequently Asked Questions
- 5 Brief characteristics of Pygmy goat
Pygmy goat facts
- Pygmy goats are native to Cameroon Valley of West Africa. Also called African Pygmy goat.
- A miniature domestic goat. African Pygmy goat at the shoulder height averaging 15 to 20 inches tall.
- Pygmy goats are mainly adopted as Pets. Due to their size, friendly, docile, playful and intelligent nature.
- The male pygmy goat is known as Buck which weighs around 27 kg to 39 kg (60 lb to 86 lb)
- The female pygmy goat is known as Doe which weighs around 24 kg to 34 kg. (53 lb to 75 lb)
- Pygmy goat comes in different colors. A few of the prominent colors are White caramel, dark caramel, black and grey Agouti.
- Pygmy goats live up to 15 years. On average Pygmy goat live around 10 years.
- Pygmy goats are quite hardy and can adapt to any climate. But during winters and rainy season, they prefer to have lukewarm food and water.
- Pygmy goats are more Athletic. They are playful, can leap great heights. So be careful with the fence height.
- The does have overall friendly temperaments, but bucks are known to be a bit stubborn and independent.
- Pygmy goats do not prefer closed enclosures, they like to stay in open areas all the time.
- Pygmy goats are social animals, they can’t stay alone. They need a company.
- Pygmy goats can achieve three kidding in two years. That said in every 7 months, goat delivers kids.
- Every kidding Pygmy goats can deliver from 1 kid to 4 kids.
- The average daily milk yield of the Pygmy goat is 0.9 kg to 2.5kg. The lactation period is 120 to 180 days.
How to care for pygmy goats?
Pygmy Goats do require dry and warm a simple goat shed. Availability of freshwater and sufficient nutritious goat feed. As Pygmy is a small goat breed doesn’t require much of maintenance. so the question is, how to raise pygmy goats?
1. Pygmy goat shed
- A space required for a pair of pygmy goats is 10ft by 10ft.
- The Goat shed or goat house should be very well ventilated. So that to minimize respiratory inspections.
- Goad shed should keep the pygmy goats warm during winters.
- Flooring should be so that the urine and droppings should fall down, easy to clean. So elevated shed is suitable for Pygmy goat. The flooring should have gaps of equal length for urine and droppings to fall down.
- Pygmy goats always jump and play a lot so fences should be about 4 feet high.
- Since pygmy goats are small, they are prone to predator attacks. So choosing the location of Goat Shed is important.
2. Pygmy goat feeding schedule
- A diet of Alfalfa Hay which is rich in calcium which is essential for Pygmy goat Does and kids.
- Pygmy goats eat a lot of vegetables and fruits.
- The two essential vitamins required by pygmy goats are Vitamin A and Vitamin D. Foods rich in Vitamin A include green pasture, green hay, yellow corn, etc. During summer, exposure to the sun is enough to provide the goats with the required amount of Vitamin D.
- A quantity of ¼ cup of grain is required by a pygmy goat every day.
- Pygmies love grazing, a small patch of land with full of grass, will keep them happy and content.
- The feed quantity of pygmy goat is very less when compared to other medium-sized Goats.
3. Pygmies health
- Twice a year, Pygmy goats dropping to be tested for worms. Regular worming is the necessity for the Pygmy goat. The recommended times are once in spring and other in autumn. Always rotate the wormer you use each year, it will ensure to keep control over the worms.
- Once in 2 weeks, check for any lice infection on Pygmy goats.
- Trimming of hooves for every 6 to 8 weeks is recommended else prone to develop lameness, footrot or splayed toes. The Goats hooves grow rapidly that needs trimming. Similar to our fingernails. Always get advice from an experienced person before you do it for the first time.
- Pygmies should be provided with a yellow mineral lick in the goat shed. Make sure to give them a suitable mineral block. Hung the mineral block in the goat shed where they can reach it. They will use it when it’s needed.
- Regular vaccines should be provided once a year, consulting VET is required. The vaccination required for pygmy goats is against enterotoxaemia, pulpy kidney, and tetanus. Most vets use Lambivac. It is possible to buy Lambivac and vaccinate your goats yourself, it is fairly easy to learn how to do it and very much cheaper than asking a vet.
4. Breeding Pygmy Goats
- The sexual maturity of Pygmy goats is too early – an average of 4 months.
- Breeding them early is too dangerous and should be avoided.
- Always keep young does away from bucks until you are ready for them to breed. Let the Doe reach 18 months.
- Entire male kids should be separated from females at 10-11 weeks of age.
- The kidding cycle is once in around 8 months. There can be 3 kidding cycles for 2 years.
- The gestation period is approximately 5 months. Pygmy goats are pregnant for around 5 months – from the day of conception to the delivery date.
- Does can give birth to 2-4 kids every 9-12 months.
- Kids may be weaned at 12-14 weeks if they are taking a good ration of hay and concentrates.
- Most Does experience a normal birthing will have a kid within an hour of beginning labor.
- Consult Veterinarian if she is not given birth even after 2 hours of pushing.
- Pygmy wethers make excellent and popular pets.
Do pygmy goats make good pets?
Pygmy goats make good pets. The reason being the good pets are, they are small, easy to handle, very friendly, more social, plays a lot, docile and intelligent. Pygmy goats can be trained, just like dogs. Pygmy goats are more affectionate to children.
Urban dwellers are more fond of Pygmy goats. Pygmy goats are more of the companion goats. Most of the Urban owners do not expect anything from Pygmy like milk or meat, but they need the goat’s time.
The pygmy goat is one of the miniature goats which can be a house pet. Before making a huge decision, know about Pygmy goats personality and pygmy goat characteristics.
1. Country’s regulation on Livestock
Each country has different rules. Some countries do not allow livestock to stay inside the house in city limits and there are few restrictions to it. Please check the regulations associated with it.
2. Financial implications
Unknown VET bills and feed bills can increase month on month, based on the number of pygmies you own. Even though Pygmy goats are sturdy, they do require regular vaccination. Vaccinations throughout their lifetimes, which can last up to 15 years.
One more thing to consider being a long time Goat owner is, if the feed once has fallen down on the ground or soiled, they will never eat them. In order to keep your feed costs checked, choose the right feeder which will allow your goat not to spill. The wrong feeder will increase your feed bill.
3. How to choose Pygmy Goats
Wethers are cheaper too. As a pet, they are very suitable for a family with children. Goats are social animals, it is recommended to keep at least two. It is preferred that both of them come from the same breeder.
- Bucks(Male) are big, smelling and not so docile. Not recommended as pets. Unpredictable during mating season.
- Does(Female) are docile and friendly. It can be kept with other females or wethers.
- Wethers(Castrated Male) are docile and less smelly, compared to Bucks. They grow as big as bucks.
4. Whether Pygmy is good as a house pet? What to expect from Pygmy goat?
- Pygmy goats are friendly and docile.
- As all the goats are social animals, they can’t live alone. Recommended to have two or more pygmy goats.
- Pygmy goats love interacting with humans, and also affection too. But they are not like dogs, you can leave them for long periods. They are perfectly fine with other pygmy goats.S
- Goats are curious, very social, love to nuzzle and may occasionally nibble on clothes.
- They can be loud, so convince your neighbors before bringing Pygmy goats home.
- Very playful. easily get bored if there are no choices to play.
- You can expect a lot of kids coming to visit your Pygmies.
5. How much do Pygmy goats cost?
If you’re looking to purchase a Pygmy goat, there is a list of registered breeders on the National Pygmy Goat Association. Based on the pedigree the price of Pygmy goats varies. Also if you are purchasing from an ethical registered breeder, you will end up getting the best of the pygmy. The cost varies from $50 to $350.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much space do pygmy goats need?
Pygmy goats are small goats but they are very playful. They do require around 30′ x 30′ fencing area for a couple of the pygmy goats to play around. Always keep their shelter secure and playful. Keep something to climb on to, they love to climb and jump.
Can you show pygmy goats?
If you are a first-timer and you want to take pygmy goats to show. Just take them, do not think too much. There are certain minimum guidelines that the goat should meet.
- The breed should adhere to the standard set by National Pygmy Goat Association, based on colors, set measurements per sex/age category.
- It is not compulsory for a Pygmy to be registered to show.
- It will be perfect to take your wethers to the show. For the show updates better to the Pygmy Goat club magazine or NPGA site.
- There will be shows category for the first-timers too, nothing to scare you, just take them to the show and have fun.
Do Pygmy goats make good house pets?
Pygmy goats do make good pets. But not good house pets. They are farm animals and they need to be in a designated place. The Pygmy goats are curious and friendly, so it’s not advisable to keep them as house pets.
Pygmy goats may tend to be aggressive when they are not comfortable at your house, this will have an impact on the children. So it’s better to keep them their shed or fencing area and treat them like goats. They are wonderful as farm pet animals.
Brief characteristics of Pygmy goat
|Other Name||Cameroon Dwarf Goat, African Pygmy Goat|
|Country/Place of Origin||West Africa|
|Breed Purpose||Meat, Milk, and Pet|
|27 to 39 kg|
|Doe||24 to 34 kg|
|Kidding||One to Four (Every nine to 12 months)|
|Milk Yield||0.9 to 2.5 liters a day|
|Good for Stall Fed||Yes|
|Climate Tolerance||Quite hardy and can adapt to any climate|